Sunday, January 13, 2008

C&D Wrap-Up

Tuesday should be a wrap: council should unanimously approve staff's definition of a "recycling collection center" that specifically excludes C&D facilities and transfer stations. It effectively mirrors state statute.

I tried to personally thank those who helped along the way; it was a very wide group. Whether they spoke, actively helped me, passively helped, just expressed an opinion for or against what I was doing, or let me sit down and explain why state statutes in this case should be observed and adhered to, they all became part of steering the village back on track in a somewhat open and transparent process. I liken it to steering the Titanic safely away from the icebergs.

Seniors at Cameo, led by Larraine Tresnak and Barbara McLellan
Downers Grove Coalition for Managed Redevelopment
Downers Grove Area Chamber of Commerce and Industry
Downers Grove Watch
Downers Grove Economic Development Corporation
Pierce Downer Heritage Alliance

Village of Downers Grove Office of the Village Manager
Morton Arboretum

Downers Grove Village Council

DuPage County Forest Preserve District
Village of Downers Grove Community Development Department

In particular:
- Andy Clark. He pushed me to get into it rather than simply complain about it.
- Gordon Goodman. He reminded me to keep an open ear to divergent opinion, and keep it civil. I did, even when others baited me, and that helped both broaden and sharpen my research and presentation materials.
- Brian Krajewski. His opposition to the project site when mayor stalled it long enough for me to begin getting a handle on where staff went wrong, and to build a case for protecting residents and businesses by getting it right.
- Ron Sandack. As mayor he allowed most of my meeting comments to go way past 5 minutes, and allowed considerable latitude in my comments.
- John Schofield. He acted the 'devil's advocate' to keep me on task, and he punched holes in weak parts of what I was doing, so what remained was logical, rational, and robust.

- Tom Sisal. He told me to
learn the pertinent zoning and environmental law, i.e., know what I'm talking about and why.
- Marilyn Hannapel. I'm not 100% sure: she was the little grandma who came up to me after a Plan Commission meeting (that didn't have a good outcome for residents), and asked me, "When do we count?" It took persistence, but you count.

1/17/08 Council Vote Update:
5-1 it passed. The sole Nay vote, Commissioner Neustadt, I spoke with after the meeting, and I understand the reasoning behind the Nay vote as he explained it to me. From Elaine Johnson's DG Report:

"My concern is that by amending the definition of the “recycling collection facilities” we will exclude the construction and demolition debris facility from the zoning ordinance. I feel that with the new buffers in place that limit the location of recycling facilities as well as the special use process the village has the ability to review each potential application for a special use. By excluding a specific facility or business the village may be open for a law suit."

I don't agree, but I understand.

No comments: